Solar power has been growing rapidly in California due to high insolation, a decline in solar costs, community support and a renewable portfolio standard that required that 33% of electricity should come from renewable resources by the year 2020, increasing to 50% by the year 2030. It is expected that much of this will come from solar power. In July 2016 the State of California generated 8 GW of utility scale solar power as well as 4 GW behind the meter private solar power. Solar power has been growing rapidly in California due to high insolation, a decline in solar costs, community support and a renewable portfolio standard that required that 33% of electricity should come from renewable resources by the year 2020, increasing to 50% by the year 2030. It is expected that much of this will come from solar power. In July 2016 the State of California generated 8 GW of utility scale solar power as well as 4 GW behind the meter private solar power. A plethora of daytime sunshine, supported by solar policies, have created an ideal solar market in California – and it continues to be the leading solar energy market in the United States. As old fossil-fuel and nuclear power generation plants (such as SONGS) come offline, the efforts of state-wide carbon reductions escalate, and load growth increases (partly due to the anticipated increase in the deployment of electric powered vehicles), California will require additional renewable energy procurement. These factors, together with changing consumer behaviour related to electricity production and delivery open up substantial growth opportunities in the solar energy market in California.
Finding out about solar technology and how it can benefit your home and your family is an important step in saving energy and costs. The high costs associated with solar panels has decreased in recent years with new technology that can offer solar panels for your roof with little or no capital outlay and paying only for the power. Solar manufacturers will maintain the panels under a maintenance contract. The best time to invest in solar power is right now, which will save you thousands in rising utility ratesBy using solar power you derive pure, clean energy from the sun which helps reduces collective dependence on fossil fuel and combats greenhouse gas emissions. Conventional electricity is currently sourced from fossil fuels such as natural gas and coal. In 2012 the solar market in U.S. grew by 76% as many homeowners chose to use solar power for their energy needs. The reasons are many:
- Homeowners saved thousands of dollars with monthly savings of above $100 per month.- PPAs (Purchase Power Agreements) and solar leasing makes it easy for homeowners to save from day 1 when they finance their panels with a pay-as-you-go financing option. The solar provider retains ownership of the system, takes care of installation, monitoring, repairs and maintenance and the user pays only for the electricity used – often less than charged by the utility company. Alternatively a cash purchase offers even more in long-term savings.
- Solar panels significantly increases the value of a home as it immediately translates into monthly electricity cost savings for new owners. A National Renewable Energy Laboratory study concluded that homes with solar panel installations sell up to 20% faster and generates 17% more capital.
- Taking advantage of solar power incentives after the $2000 cap on Federal Solar Tax Credit was lifted in 2009 means that you will get 30% of your total system costs back. Combined with local and state rebates and solar renewable energy credits, your energy costs can be cut in half.
- Solar power is a secure investment as utility companies are known for their fluctuating electricity rates with a guaranteed upward trend. With solar power you can calculate the amount of electricity you will be generating at what cost for the next 20 years (i.e. fixed energy costs).
- Guaranteed performance with a 20 – 25 year warranty from solar panel manufacturers and an industry standard guarantee of 80% performance after 25 years.
- Saving the environment by lowering your carbon footprint – the US is placed second in the world for annual carbon dioxide emissions behind China.
Going solar is a step in the right direction and has never been easier. A professional team of solar power consultants in California will help you review all the options to see how you can best save money and benefit from solar power.